Windows 10 is here and its FREE!
Here's our ten reasons why Windows 10 will be the best platform for a modern business:
- Tailored Experience by Device: Windows 10 is designed to be familiar, yet modern – optimised for touch, mouse and keyboard experiences, with the intelligence of adapting to the device of your choosing.
- Familiarity: If you know how to use Windows 7, you’ll know how to use Windows 10 - it just works out of the box.
- Business anywhere: OneDrive is built-in, so you can automatically sync your files and have them available, wherever you are on any device.
- Sync Your Business: Office 365 shares the same user account, which lets you save files to OneDrive, or One Drive for Business, automatically.
- Speedy Business Setup: No need to have an IT person configure your devices manually. Upgrading existing Windows 7, and later PCs in your business can be done with a simple in-place upgrade. There is no need to wipe your old operating system.
- Optimised Business Settings: It's simple to get up and running with a Windows 10 device. You can buy a PC off the shelf at retail, login with your business account, and automatically apply the settings for your business.
- Small Business gets Enterprise Level Security: Windows continues to get stronger and more secure with Windows 10. Our security is designed for the world’s largest enterprises and governments and is built into all Windows editions, so your small business will benefit from enterprise level security as standard.
- Business App Protection: Windows Store Apps are all sand-boxed - meaning they run in a highly controlled environment, helping to protect you from viruses & malware.
- Business Data Secured: Windows 10 helps you secure your devices, your user identities and your data.
- Stable Business: Windows 10 includes many improvements in memory and resource management to provide a productive and stable working environment.
Upgrading to Windows 10
With the familiarity of Windows 7 (including a start button), Modern windows store apps, Advances in security deployment (helping to safeguard you against device theft, viruses, phishing) and Windows updates so your operating system is always current with the latest features - there's a lot to look forward to in respect to Windows 10. Plus there's the free upgrade. Here's some useful tips to ensure you're ready to upgrade:
Running Windows 8
In order to get the easiest upgrade to Windows 10 (and for free) you actually need to upgrade now to the latest version of Windows 8 - Windows 8.1 Update, is available free, from the Window Store.
What’s the difference between Windows 8.1 and Windows 8.1 update?
Windows 8.1 Update includes additional features that improve the compatibility of Internet Explorer, extend policy settings for mobile device management and easier deployments across businesses, plus provides more familiar mouse and keyboard options.
Ahem still using unsupported Windows XP, Windows Vista operating systems?
Upgrade operating system or, if it's the original device the operating system came installed on, upgrade your device. If you buy a device with Windows 8.1 pre-installed, you'll get a free upgrade to Windows 10!
How do I know if I am using a qualified device?
The device is qualified if it is running Windows 7, Windows 8 or Windows 8.1 however some requirements apply:
- Your device must be connected to the internet
- Your device must have Windows Update enabled (ISP fees may apply)
- Windows 7 SP1 and Windows 8.1 Updates are required
I was also told that some editions are excluded, such as Windows 7 Enterprise, Windows 8/8.1 Enterprise, and Windows RT/RT 8.1?
This likely doesn't apply to a small business but Active Software Assurance customers in volume licensing have the benefit to upgrade to Windows 10 enterprise offerings outside of this offer. You can expect more details relating to this to be released in the near future.
I'm already using Windows 8.1?
Then hurrah, you will be able to upgrade for free within a year, as long as you meet the requirements above. Recommendation today is to upgrade for free to Windows 8.1 update by going to Microsoft store.
Not sure what Operating System your on....
If you don’t know, then you can find out via http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows/which-operating-system
If we upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 8.1 will this affect the 25 or so devices that I print and scan to and from with the current windows 7 drivers?
Prepare for DISASTER!! Five "must haves"
Do you have a backup plan? An estimated 25 percent of businesses… Continue reading